School Logo

Football Team Match Report vs St Albans

St Albans 3 – 3 Borrow Wood 


Borrow Wood took on St Albans in their first away match of the season. St Albans took an early lead but Borrow Wood replied soon after when a long-range strike from Aaron was palmed back into the area by the St Albans goalkeeper where Josh was lurking to tap in for the opener. The crossbar was rattled by Raife and Aaron twice in the following minutes. A Buddy strike following the interception of a goal kick gave Borrow Wood the lead at half time.  


The start of the second half was dominated by the home side with them scoring an equaliser however Borrow Wood broke on the counter attack and Aaron slotted comfortably past the keeper to take the lead again. Borrow Wood continued to weather the storm of continuous attacks with Tapiwa, Douglas and Andreas all making last ditch tackles as well as a vital bloke by Joel. Xander’s quick reactions in goal meant he could pounce on any crosses and shots from close range. With ten minutes remaining the St Albans striker snuck in behind the defence capitalising on some miscommunication and calmly finished to take it to 3-3. 


The last 5 minutes of the game was spent with Borrow Wood on the attack with several shots just missing the target and final passes intercepted by the St Albans defence. The final moment of the game saw Raife’s cross unfortunately avoid Josh and Buddy who had sprinted into the box, eventually going out for a throw in. The ref blew his whistle and signalled full-time in what was a thrilling, end-to-end, and extremely physical, 60 mins of football which both teams played in the right spirit. Borrow Wood are currently unbeaten with a win and a draw in their opening two matches scoring seven goals in the process. We now enter a winter break with the next fixture due to be played in March.


Man of the match went to Tapiwa for his energy to break up St Albans' attacks and set us up to attack ourselves in a performance where he covered every blade of grass on the pitch.