At Borrow Wood we:
- Provide the highest possible standard of education so that every child leaves Borrow Wood having realised their full potential and is equipped for the next stage of learning.
- Offer a broad, balanced and challenging curriculum that develops children with the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in life.
- Provide a safe environment, which promotes learning and curiosity, where children and staff are aspirational and feel confident to ‘have a go’ to develop themselves.
- Encourage every child to become socially mature, demonstrating essential life skills such as: high levels of emotional intelligence including resilience, empathy, understanding, tolerance and respect so that they engage positively with society.
Our children are taught in a variety of contexts including whole class teaching, group work and individual support. The children have targets to focus their next steps for learning and these are discussed regularly in order to assess their progress. We believe it is important for children to take ownership of their learning and to be motivated to learn more and remember more.
Our curriculum incorporates the statutory requirements of the National Curriculum and other experiences and opportunities, which best meet the learning and developmental needs of the pupils in our school.
Through our curriculum we ensure that our pupils:
· Progress well and reach and exceed their potential academically, physically and artistically
· Read easily, fluently and with good understanding
· Acquire a wide vocabulary and have a strong command of the written and spoken word
· Become fluent in the fundamentals of maths, reason mathematically and solve problems
· Develop resilience
· Focus on finding ways to resolve problems
· Know how to keep themselves healthy and safe
· Respect diversity
· Develop a mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths, beliefs and viewpoints
We build on children's individual skills, knowledge and experiences by offering them exciting and stimulating activities interwoven through our curriculum to help them progress and achieve success. Click here to see examples of this in practice.
Our CHOICE ethos is an integral thread that runs throughout our curriculum underpinning all that we do to develop good citizens for the future.
Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) - (Reception and Nursery)
In Reception and Nursery the children follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum. For more information click here.